Conference Funding: the department offers funding for undergraduate and graduate students who present research and are in the official conference program. The amount of funding varies per year. For 2023-2024, the funding is up to $400 per student per academic year. See "Steps to Receive the Funding You Have Been Awarded" below to initiate the process.
Research Travel Grants: the department offers funding for graduate students who need to travel for their thesis research. There is a call for proposals announced during the Fall and Spring semesters, so do not submit an application before the call. The amount of funding varies per year.
- Current graduate student, active at the graduate school
- Must have a 3.5 or above GPA
- Must have completed ANTH 5050 ("Prep for Applied Thesis"), and have a well-developed master's proposal with a potential client (an approved IRB application is not necessary, but you should be close to submitting it).
- Award cannot be used for conference travel
- Award can be used for travel costs related to fieldwork research.
- Cover letter detailing the objective of the request
- Detailed budget that indicates specifically how these funds will be used for travel
- Thesis proposal, which includes a timeline for the research
- A letter or email of recommendation from main advisor
- Send application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (CLASS) Funding
Travel Support Grants of up to $500 are available for academically successful graduate students to assist in conducting or presenting research. The most up-to-date information about CLASS Travel Support is on their website.
Toulouse Graduate School Funding
Graduate Student Travel Award
The Graduate School offers a limited number of competitive awards to selected graduate students who are in good academic standing. The Travel Award will support the cost of conference registration to professional meetings that are relevant to their degree. The most up-to-date information about the Toulouse Graduate Student Travel Award is on their website. This award has many requirements so be sure to check the website and deadlines.
Steps to Receive the Funding You Have Been Awarded
- Fill out the Request for Travel form. This form gives you departmental permission to travel with university funds (any level of funding) and initiates the first step in travel.
- Submit form to Melissa.Tanner@unt.edu
- Melissa will work with you to get set up in Concur, the UNT travel system.
- Once travel is complete, provide receipts to Melissa Tanner for reimbursement.